Friday, August 1, 2008

The New Dock


So here is the dock story. We went up for a nice family weekend to the cottage. Patti and her kids, Phi & Tanya and their kids, Scott and I with our kids. As Brad steps on the stairs to go to the dock, they collapse. My father in law fixes the problem with some yellow ropes as he has fixed the floating dock problem over the past few years. (We found at least 7 yellow ropes used! hehehe)
So, when my brother in law shows up, he of course is not happy with the situation because his children are up at the cottage most of the summer. So, he decides to rebuild the stairs. Scott and Tyson (Tanya's brother) help Phil take it out and pull nails. My strong hubby of mine breaks the ONLY hammer up there! It was a well seasoned metal hammer that decided Scott's brute force was too much. So off to Schwant (the hardware store) I go with Ryan in tow to buy some supplies and a new hammer. We return proud of our purchases and assume our resting spots on the deck to watch the "men" work. No sooner had I poured myself a drink, then Scott tells me I have to return the hammer. "I broke this one too!" (hehehe) Second nail in and another hammer succumbed to Scott's brute force! Off I drive back to the hardware store and inform them what happened. Max the manager, rattles off some comments about Hercules strength and I giggle! I told him if you seen the man that did this, you wouldn't say that! We return with a re-enforced metal hammer that didn't' break that weekend!
Once the boys started putting the stairs back, Phil noticed that the main dock wasn't in great shape. We all knew this, but he thought we would be able to handle rebuilding one! So back to the hardware store we go before it closes to grab all the wood and supplies we will need. So began our relaxing weekend!
We all did what we could to help out. Tanya was a champ starting to tear the old dock down. I think it was a wonderful way to take out frustrations! If only we could have used an axe!
Even Ms Emma got involved! She thought this was great! She even brought out her family of cows and made Ali (our niece) have a chip and juice picnic!
One of the few shots of brothers working together! And no, neither one hit the others fingers surprisingly!
After a couple of hours of assemble the new dock went into the water. It was much easier than taking the old one out I tell you! Like my Scottie, King of the Nile! We thought about letting him float down the lake, but then we would have to remake the dock!
It looked great once it was in place. We have decided that at another date and time we will redo the floating dock. It is just as rotten, but it should get through the rest of the summer. At this point the kids were in desperate need of a boat ride, so off they went for a tube ride.
Bringing the floating dock was much easier as well. Except the fact that Toby thought it was his own personal floating device! Note: there is still one yellow rope on the dock! Not anymore! We have removed them all!
Tools of our weekend, minus a couple of hammers. Drinks, tools and family! What a way to spend our weekend!

Ta da! The dock is almost done. There always seemed to be more people waiting to do something than working! But the job got done!
All done! Looks great in the end. Hopefully it will last, we plan on the September weekend going back up for one last family weekend. If the floating dock doesn't last, I think we will just burn the old one and wait till next year!

Ta Da!!! All done!


This is one funny video! I was using my camera just to capture Emma's reaction to watching the neighbor across the lake take off in his plane over the water. Emma thinks that if the index finger is one, then the middle finger is two! Not only does she think that, but she tries to show Aunt Patti that she is holding up the wrong finger! I think that Patti's laugh helps add to the show! So funny! I almost peed!



Hope the summer is treating everyone just as well. Kaylyn is home for the week then back to Jayme's for the weekend. She is going to participate in Patti's summer dance camp for 2 out of the 3 weeks. She is going to return to Niagara the last week to have her braces removed. She is so excited! Emma was very happy to have Kaylyn home again. Kay tried to sit with me for a while, but Emma wouldn't have it! She wanted Kay to play with her! FOR 2 HOURS!!
Ryan has joined us for this week. It's nice having him here too. We don't get to see them (him and Sami) too much when school is on. We have kept ourselves busy with odds and ends, but I think he just needed a change of scenery. (That and he likes my house! hehe)

1 comment:

Debra said...

Emma's too cute! You and your sister laughs are a lot alike!